Director of Finance
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Menevia covers a geographical area from Swansea in the South to Aberystwyth in the North, and from St David's in the West to Presteigne in the East - 43 parishes altogether. The Diocese is a registered charity and is run by a Board of Trustees who are responsible for determining the strategic direction of the Diocese. Effective implementation of financial strategy and direction rests with the Director of Finance (Canonically the Financial Secretary); the post is currently vacant.
The primary responsibilities of the Financial Secretary are:
- Taking a strategic view of Diocesan finances and ensuring that all financial and administrative procedures are regularly reviewed and remain current to comply with changes in legislation and accounting regulations
- Preparation of consolidated accounts and tax returns for the Charity, working with external auditors
- Ensuring proper financial control of larger capital projects
- Responsibility for Gift Aid claims, bulk purchase schemes and office payroll (including setting salary levels for Curia staff)
- Management and implementation of an internal audit programme across the Diocese
- Responsibility for managing the central general fund bank account, ledger, budgets and investments
- Providing advice to the Trustees and others on a whole range of finance, property-related and administrative procedures and activities across the Diocese including schools
- Working with external advisors, responsibility for ensuring that employment law is observed and practised across the Diocese
- Overseeing the functioning of the Curial offices IT systems and ensuring that the Diocesan IT consultant is informed whenever a system is not functioning properly.
The successful candidate must have ACA/ACCA qualifications and relevant experience but will also be able to demonstrate an ability to:
- build and maintain the confidence of clergy, many of whom have little/no financial knowledge
- answer/field queries across a range of knowledge areas
- know when to seek external/professional advice
- ensure that all activities and conduct have due regard for, and are sympathetic to, the values and teachings of the Roman Catholic Church
- recognise that the charity is governed by Canon as well as Civil Law.
- instruct and support those preparing accounts in parishes
- work closely and harmoniously with the Diocesan Accountant, Property Officer and others
- think strategically as well as to “get stuck in”
- be a team player, able to work closely and harmoniously with laity and clergy
How to apply
Application is by way of an application form, CV and supporting letter. Please email Reverend Barry Taylor at firstname.lastname@example.org for an application form. The closing date for applications is 31 August.
Apply for Director of Finance
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly